Photobucket

Sunday, July 20, 2008

Rainforest World Music Festival 2008 part 1

I am extremely sorry for the super delay on the RWMF post, I really did not have the time to edit the photos. So I took the 2:30pm flight on Thursday to Kuching, I was in a dilemma because everybody has a different plan on that day and it was a pain in the ass to figure out what to do.

I just went to Hong Kong noodle house for dinner in Sarbekas with my uncle and his family, I was surprise to find out that Kuching shopping malls closes at 9pm. The food we had there was great, too bad the waitress's product knowledge was not good. When I asked her to recommend something, she looked shocked and she just smile. It was back to my uncle's place, unpack the stuff that I do not need and get ready to go Santubong the next day.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

It is Friday, the big day of the festival that I have been looking forward to for a whole year. Before going for the shuttle, my uncle brought me to this place for some fantastic Satay and Mee Jawa. It is one of the best I have eaten so far, I forgot what is the shop's name already and I think it is somewhere in Carpenter street. I took the 1pm shuttle to Santubong, I told the bus driver to drop at the junction since they do not turn inside. The walk to resort was a bitch, thank God a dude from celcom offered me a ride.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket


Photobucket

I drop my loads in my friend's room, then it off to Sarawak cultural village. I met up Richard, Vinod and Vignesh, Devona joined us there later. We managed to catch two workshops, we went for the Fusion reactors at the Iban long house. The Iban long house is like a huge pressure cooker or a microwave oven, the moment I stepped in to snap some photos I was already sweating bullets.

We then proceed to dewan lagenda for the Gong drumming workshop, I got hit in the head with a stick thrown by Hiroshi( one of the performers) while I was looking at the photos I took from the camera. Damn it! I should gotten the stick instead of the girl behind me, Hiroshi had gave me surreal souvenir to remember.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

We went for dinner at the stalls, I thought of trying the kebab and it sucked so bad. I should went for the noodles instead which was cheaper, I wasted RM8 on the kebab which I could have bought a Heineken for Rm8. Food is always overpriced during the festival, which can be a little turn off.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Night fall has come, we are all ready for the rainforest world music festival 2008. All the sudden I felt rain drops, everyone feared the worst. It actually rained quite heavily, they do not call this rainforest for no reason at all. Most of us are not prepared, I was not worry about myself getting drenched but I was more concern about my camera. I used one of the tips given by a digital camera magazine, wrapping my camera in a plastic bag and expose the lens.

The rain made it very difficult to get a good shot, it was cold and most of the photos I took was bad. To make matters worst, the field was very muddy. You can see playing with the mud and they starting throwing mud everywhere, good thing the spot Vinod chose was out of the mud range.

Photobucket

Photobucket

The line up for the first night was Senida (Sarawak), Akasha (Malaysia) Cholo Valdaerama(Colombia) New rope sting band (United Kingdom) Fadomorse(Portugal) Adel Salameh (Palestine) and Pinipikan (Philippines). One or two of the bands could not make it, I cannot really remember who. I like the line ups for the first night, especially Akasha, who amazed me by using the Sita to play the blues. Fadormorse was fantastic, they kept the energy going in the crowd. Pinipikan's lady vocalist was awesome, her pitch was very very high which most singers do not have.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

It was wet, cold, crowded night, when we are leaving the place they made us walk all the way up to the roundabout and it was far ok! WTF! stay tune for the RWMF 08 part 2.

Labels: , , ,

3 Comments:

Blogger Arth Akal said...

I noticed there are more complaints than praises from the rainforest festival this year.
should i be glad that i didn't attend this year?

despite all the complaints coming from you, did you enjoy it anyway? hehe

9:52 PM  
Blogger Darren said...

arth: yes, the complaints was more than the praises. However they should look into the complaints positively as it serves as a feedback.

As for me, my experience for the rwmf is good and bad, most importantly I did have a fabulous time there :)

1:44 PM  
Blogger Faisal Admar said...

Green is good look yummy! I love vegetables :)

The music festival looks cool.

11:20 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home